Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Dulwich Hamlet FC - Transpontine Team

I have enough troubles of my own supporting a non-league club (one time old First Division) who are not from South London, without taking up the cause of Dulwich Hamlet FC. Still I notice with interest some of the banners that have been adorning their ground in recent times.

There's a Pride of South London banner...


...a banner that combines the emblems of Dulwich Hamlet with Altona 93- the Hamburg  team which some DHFC fans have linked up with (kind of non-league St Pauli):

(this photo and one above from Urban 75)
 ... and a Transpontine banner! Somebody asked if I had a hand in this, but I didn't. I suspect the artist sometimes known as Wolfgang Moneypenny/@vornstyle may have had a role. A source close to the Moneypenny camp told us: '"There are few performances as lurid and melodramatic as those found at a non-league football match". Anyway I know that he is somebody else who has embraced the use of the word Transpontine. So while I can't claim the credit, I like to think this site has helped to reintroduce the word into the local parlance as a synonym for South Londonish.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, all the old South London anarchos are down at Dulwich Hamlet FC now.

James said...

Meant to say I went to see DHFC after seeing this post and it's fantastic, haven't missed a game since. Great atmosphere, good people, an eccentric ultra bunch with at least 20 different chants...what more could you want!

. said...

Happy to take the credit for increasing crowd at DHFC by at least one!