|Gary Oldman in 'Bram Stoker's Dracula' (1992)|
Los Angeles-based Oldman told the Metro this week:
' I still think I’m Gary from New Cross and look around and think: ‘How the hell did I get here?’.
He grew up in Hatcham Park Road.
Thursday, February 06, 2014
Seriously Staked: A Vampire Convention in New Cross
Coming up at Goldsmiths in New Cross next month, ASSAP (Association for the Scientific Study of Anomalous Phenomena) present the 'Seriously Staked Vampire Symposium' Look beyond the Twilight and True Blood frenzy and there is, and always has been, a serious study of vampires. Seriously Staked on March 8th brings together a wide variety of subject experts and academics to talk about a range of questions concerning vampires. These include:
-Can science explain vampires?
- Do real vampire hunting kits exist?
- How have vampires impacted western culture?
- What is the crossover between vampires and other anomalous phenomena?
- Was Transylvania vampirism a communist trick to attract tourists?
- What is the London vampire community today?
- Do real vampires exist?
Line up includes:
- Maria Mellinns, author of 'Vampire Culture' (2013)
- Stacey Abbott, author of 'Celluloid Vampires: Life after Death in the Modern World (2007), 'Angel: TV Milestone[ (2009), and the co-author, with Lorna Jowett, of 'TV Horror: Investigating the Dark Side of the Small Screen' (2013_
- Scott Wood, author of ‘London Urban Legends: The Corpse on the Tube' (2013).
Sadly though it seems that New Cross's most famous vampire will not be appearing: