Wednesday, June 15, 2005

On the team

Morning all! Just to announce that I'm now proud to be a member of the Transpontine team. I'm Richard, and I live in Hither Green, so I guess I'll be covering stuff around the Eastern End of the Transpontine remit.

One thing to start me off though. Meridian Line Markers. I'm fascinated by these things- there's one in the tunnel at Hither Green railway station, and one in a paving stone on Lee High Road- both of which seem fairly arbitrary. Are there any other less obvious ones? (like not in Greenwich Park...)

3 comments:

Neil-NewX said...

Welcome abroad Richard. Don't know anything about Meridian markers - are they a new fangled Millennium thing or are of they vintage stock?

Richard said...

Both the ones I've cited are older than 5 years. Basically just a short line in the ground marking the meridian. It just seems odd that although the line goes through whole swathes of the area I've only ever seen these two...
I'll try to photograph them...

Skitster said...

I've collected meridian markers in the past thought I've not seen any in south-east London.

The south side of the Thames path from Richmond to Kew has a copper line marking the meridian which I made sure I stood on and thought of Greenwich while I was out in south-west London.

There's a street in Barcelona that has a meridian line running down it but, frankly, there was far too much to do in Barcelona for me to go and find it.