Friday, June 09, 2006

I Hear a New World

I hear a new world (I hear a new world)
Calling me (calling me)
I hear a new world (I hear a new world)
Calling me (calling me)
How can I tell them (how can I tell them)
What's in store for me? (what's in store for me?)

A world that is, for one night at SELFS and for the duration of this newsletter, free of the world cup is in store, I promise you.

This month's SELFS has it all, a musical genius, songs inspired from beyond the grave, drugs, dabbling in the occult and a tragic ending. I'm dead excited (as ever). Details on John Repesh's talk about Joe Meek are below.

12th June: John Repsch – The Music, Magic and Madness of Joe MeekJoe Meek is the cult British composer who dabbled in the occult and wrote amazing and sometimes chart-topping songs about séances, satellites and aliens.

Writer and environmentalist John Repsch wrote the biography of Joe Meek in 1989. Bizarre and fascinating though Meek's life story was, Repsch had to publish it himself.

The book has since spawned a BBC 2 'Arena' documentary, an avalanche of CDs and is scheduled to be made into a film this year starring Rhys Ifans.

SELFS meets every second Monday of the month upstairs at The Spanish Galleon, 48 Greenwich Church Street, SE10 9BL. Talks start at 8.00pm and costs £2.50 / £1.50 concessions.

Greenwich Mainline & DLR: Turn left from the main exit, walk about 5-10 minutes, the Galleon is on your right, at the cross-roads. Cutty Sark DLR:

Turn left from the station, right when you get to the road, the Spanish Galleon is across the road. Buses: 177, 180, 188, 199, 286, 386.

Contact: scott@selfs.org.uk or clare@selfs.org.uk

2 comments:

Archeology of the Future said...

Oh bum, I've missed this by a day!

Do you reckon I could get a hold of a transcript? The Joe Meel story is a belter as 'I Hear A New World' by Joe Meek and The Blue Men.

The man wrote Telstar for gods sake! Genius.

. said...

Yes, Telstar was played, not to mention some Screaming Lord Sutch.