Sunday, December 17, 2006

Status Quo

In our mission to record South East London musical connections, we sometimes have to venture into areas where might not feel musically at home. Thus it is with Francis Rossi, lead singer with Status Quo. I must confess to a brief early teen moment of Quodum, I think I went off them a. when I got into punk and b. when I discovered Prince Charles liked them.

But let the record show, Mr Rossi is South London through and through. He spent his early years in Mayow Road, Forest Hill, where as a good Catholic boy he regularly attended mass at the local church of Our Lady and St Philip Neri. His Italian extended family ran the local ice cream trade with vans and a shop, Rossi's Ice Cream in Catford Broadway. At the age of 11, he moved with his family to Balham High Road, but he moved back to Forest Hill when he first got married.

The source for this is Xs All Areas - the Status Quo Autobiography, which I picked up in a Greenwich bargain book shop as an 'ironic' Xmas present for a secret Quo fan of my acquaintance. Still 'Pictures of Matchstick Men' wasn't that bad, was it?

No comments: