Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Grrl Power

Rock 'n' Ruin are a pair of promoters putting on some excellent lesbian ‘n’ gay friendly music nights in New Cross and Camberwell which, in itself, is enough to have all good folk hugging their inner Huggy Bear fan. (The horrors of lad-indie, from the Stone Roses to the Frattelis never made the Bear go away for me.)

Ok, so She-Bop has just moved from Camberwell to Bloomsbury but we’ve still got Death by Stereo (I’ve seen Lost Boys about 20 times myself), their first-Thursday-of-the-month night at the New Cross Inn, 323 New Cross Road, to enjoy. It's free and the attitude is brilliant:

'ROCK-N-RUIN' PLAY THEIR UNIQUE MIX OF 80s ROCK, 90s NOISE, FORGOTTEN POP CLASSICS, 70s PUNK, GIRLS WITH GUITARS, BOYS WITH ATTITUDE & EVERYTHING IN BETWEEN....WE PLAY MUSIC COZ ITS GOOD NOT BECAUSE ITS COOL

Who I'd like to meet:RIOTS GRRLS, PUNKS, MODS, ROCKERS, STUDENTS, LONERS, GEEKS, FREAKS, GAY, BI, STRAIGHT OR UNDECIDED, WE DONT CARE...ANYONE AS LONG AS YOU LOVE MUSIC & WANT TO HAVE A GOOD TIME!

Thursday 7th August has three bands on, all with girl singers:
DRAG
Virgina Slint
Big Gun Baby

And thank the gods that be for MySpace so one doesn't have ot go through the painful and wanky process of having to describle what bands sound like anymore. Hurrah!

4 comments:

. said...

Sounds good, I've been thinking about Huggy Bear/riot grrrl recently funnily enough, have posted about them at
History is Made at Night

Anonymous said...

what constitutes 'lad indie'?

. said...

Well Skister rather than me did the original post, so not sure what his definition is. I guess I would say bog standard four blokes plodding out unoriginal indie-rock with no edge, excitement or intelligence. I have also heard the term 'landfill indie' used in the same way. Not sure I would agree with Skitster that The Stone Roses were in this category though.

Scott Wood said...

I would: on BBC4's Rock Britannica it was clear thar the Stone Roses the harbingers of thoughtless, laddish, arrogent guitar music, as opposed to left-of-centre music played on guitars.

It's a tricky line but Stone Roses are certainly on the lad side.

I'm not really trying to draw lines, just highlight one type of musical attitude to another and there's no paticular sort and against sort. I was just pointing out that a lot of what is now thought of as indie is a lot more laddish to what may ,before, have been indie and crying about the move of guitar music from the left to the middle-right.