Thursday, September 10, 2009

New Cross Fire Death

From This is London (9.9.09):

A fire at a block of flats in New Cross in which a man died has sparked a murder inquiry.
Emergency services were called to the flats in Avonley Road at 1pm yesterday (September 8), where they found the body of a man on the second floor. Firefighters helped several people to safety from the Filton Court flats but the man, believed to be in his 50s, was pronounced dead at the scene. Police have not yet identified the man but say they are treating his death as suspicious. A post-mortem examination is due to take place today at Greenwich mortuary. A second man, aged 51, was rescued from the fire and taken to hospital where he was later arrested in connection with the police inquiry.

Some photos of this at Flickr.

2 comments:

ross said...

i saw a small news report about this the other day and couldn't help thinking about the contrast in media reporting in this case (fire in a block of flats in new cross where man dies from multiple stab wounds)and the one last year (fire in a block of flats in new cross where 2 men die from multiple stab wounds)

Transpontine said...

yes, this one seems to have been filed under just another murder in the hood.