Monday, May 05, 2008

Deptford Properly

Finally made it down to Deptford Properly cafe in Tanners Hill on Saturday. They immediately scored top points as they were playing Belle and Sebastian's 'The Boy with the Arab Strap' when I went in. Then I sat outside in the sun with a pot of tea - real tea leaves and only £1.30 - and a very nice chocolate cake.
They also had lots of quirky and interesting books to read - I had time to read some short pieces by Jorge Louis Borges before going on my way. Yes indeed something for your mind, your body and your soul. I believe it's open Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, 10 am - 7 pm and Sunday 11 am - 7 pm. I will be returning.

2 comments:

Deep Ford said...

Tragedy!!
It seems to have closed down. Is this yet more evidence of the pathetic failure of Lewisham to support local initiatives, in spite of all their claims to support 'cultural regeneration' in SE8?
What happned to this great cafe - anyone know?

. said...

I'm not sure the Council can really be blamed for this one. I understand it was a more straightforward dispute with the landlord, with some flooding problem. Still, good while it lasted, as someone said 'it's better to burn out than it is to rust' (or in this case maybe wash out). The people involved, Utrophia, are still doing stuff elsewhere in Tanners Hill but not sure if they have any plans for another cafe.