Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Woolwich Photos


The Guardian website today highlights the photography of George Plemper, a great collection of pictures of life in Thamesmead and Woolwich in the late 1970s and early 1980s. There's even more of them on his excellent flickr collection.
A lot of the pictures were taken when he was working as a teacher at Riverside School, Thamesmead (now Bexley Business Academy) and there are also various images from Woolwich Tramshed and other places in the area.
My favourite is this picture of a couple on Woolwich Dockyard Estate in 1981. Where are they now?

6 comments:

kate said...

They look kinda glam....do you think they were/are a real couple or models?

. said...

On the flickr site the photographer says that they were a couple of who lived on the same estate as him. Of course they might have put their best gear on for the photo shoot. They look great don't they - there was a bit of a mod revival around that time with Quadrophenia etc.

kate said...

Yeah cool picture .....makes me think it was older than 80s so the mod revival makes sense.
Was at thamesmead the other day doesnt quite seems real that big estate, just reminds me of films.

Anonymous said...

Is it me or does the bloke have a semi-on?

Unknown said...

I have just come across these comments and I can confirm that they were people who lived on the estate. Nothing contrived, if I remember correctly I just used to turn up on a weekend to see who was there. I do not remember fixing up a "photo shoot" but then again it was thirty years or so ago.

. said...

Great to hear from you George, love your photos