Friday, January 31, 2014

Split Enz in Forest Hill

Split Enz were the most internationally successful New Zealand band of the 1970s/early 80s. After touring Australia in support of Roxy Music, they moved to London in 1976 where Roxy's Phil Manzanera (ex-Dulwich College incidentally) produced their 'Second Thoughts' album. By this point band founder Tim Finn had been joined in the band by his younger brother Neil Finn, and they had a number of hits - the biggest being 1980's 'I got you'. After the band split up in 1984, Neil went on to form Crowded House ('Don't dream it's over', 'Weather with you', etc.).



Neil Finn has a solo album, Dizzy Heights, out shortly and in an interview at the Quietus he says:

'When I was living in London when I first joined Split Enz we were living in Forest Hill, and this record [Bob Marley's Exodus], as well as David Bowie's Low and Kraftwerk's Trans-Europe Express, was on high rotation. But in particular, Exodus has endured for me, and I could pick a number of Bob Marley albums, as for me, of all the artists there have ever been, his music is the most positive. If I'm feeling a bit fragile or vulnerable and put Bob on, I feel better, it's as simple as that. Exodus was the first album I connected with and I guess living in London in 1977 it was current, and I actually saw Bob driving down the King's Road in his black BMW. I never, unfortunately, got to see him play but he's up there in my top three of all time'

Anybody know anymore?  Thanks to Owen on twitter for spotting this


No comments: