New book out now - click on image for more details, including where to get it

Thursday, December 04, 2014

Gramsci Way SE6


There aren't too many streets in London named after Italian communists, but in Bellingham SE6 there is a little slice of Lewisham dedicated to Antonio Gramsci (1891-1937), who died following eight years in jail as a prisoner of Mussolini. Gramsci Way is a cul-de-sac off Randlesdown Road.

I understand that 'Red Rector' Father Paul Butler, now of St Pauls Church in Deptford, was instrumental in getting the road so-named when he was Vicar at St Dunstans in Bellingham - the vicarage of which is in Gramsci Way.

Antonio Gramsci
Any other ideas for Italian communist street names - Malatesta Mansions perhaps, or Bordiga Boulevard?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, I had often wondered whether and why there was a linkage - it is a road I quite often pass.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the story behind the name. It always makes me smile to think of Gramsci commemorated here, and I used to wonder how the road got its name. I thought perhaps a radical town planner sneaked it past a dozing committee. Somehow the modesty of the road is appropriate to the man - even as he transports the mind far from prison/Bellingham/the present political system.

There was a good radio programme about Gramsci not long ago http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04fz6ky

Plastic Christmas said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I just discovered Gramsci Way, having published a recent biography. I stopped off in Bellingham on my way out to a country walk, and asked a sunbathing geezer in the garden of 1 Gramsci Way how he pronounced the name. Sure enough it was "Gramski Way". He went on "He was a naughty monk..." Priceless, especially since child Antonio seriously considered the priesthood. Andrew Pearmain