Thursday, November 22, 2012

Pepys Estate 1981

Last Saturday's Guardian came with a special booklet 'Photography: A Guardian Masterclass'. There was a photography competition to be on the front cover, and the winner was Rob Kenyon with a photograph taken on the Pepys Estate on Deptford.


It wasn't until I checked out the Guardian webiste that I realized that the photograph wasn't recent. Rob says: “This shot was taken at Eddystone House on the Pepys Estate in Deptford, south-east London. I was the photographer for the Albany Summer Playscheme just after the 1981 Brixton riots. We had just finished our two days on site, helping the local kids in their production: The Funky Riot, a musical on roller skates. As we were packing the van, I noticed this girl trying to go downstairs on her skates. I never got to find out who she was, or get her a print. I wish I could.”

No comments: