Friday, November 16, 2012

Thierry Christian-Gnanakumar RIP

The young man killed near to Lewisham library last Saturday night has been named. According to tonight's Standard:

'A promising student who moved to London “for a better life” was battered to death while out celebrating a friend’s birthday. Police are hunting a gang after Thierry Christian-Gnanakumar, 22, was savagely attacked in Lewisham at the weekend. The undergraduate, who was studying biomedical science at East London university, was taken to hospital with severe head and face injuries, but died hours later. Today his distraught family issued a desperate plea for information to help track down the killers.

They said: “The assault happened in a very public place. A lot of people probably walked past. We would just really appreciate any information that anybody has. His life was taken away so young – he didn’t deserve that.”

Speaking to the Evening Standard at their home in Catford, they described their son and brother, the youngest of three siblings, as “extremely generous”. They said: “When his friends needed money or a shirt he would just give all of his stuff away for anyone - he would not think twice about it. He was shy, but very open when with people he knew very well. Everyone would say he always had a smile on his face. He enjoyed being with his friends, playing basketball and having a good time, but also spending time with his mum. He just could not wait to graduate – he only had six months left to go. He will be very much missed by all of us.”

The family are originally from Sri Lanka, but previously lived in Paris, before moving to London eight years ago.  "We came here for our education and to try to get a better life,” they said. “We never expected this to happen.”

Police were called to reports of a disturbance on Lewisham High Street around 9.20pm on Saturday. When the paramedics arrived, a friend who had called 999 was holding Thierry in is arms and shouting his name. The family said he was rushed to King’s College Hospital in Denmark Hill, but died in the early hours of Sunday. Three men have been arrested in connection with the incident and released on bail until later this month. Anyone with information should call the police on 020 8721 4805 or contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111'.

No comments: